Logo
Department of Biology
Institute for Plant Science and Microbiology
    Division BEE  >  Biodiversity & Ecology  >  Vol.4 >  Article 146

Biodiversity & Ecology

Short Database Report    Open Access 

EVSItalia Database HABITAT OF ITALY


Michele De Sanctis*, Diego D'Angeli, Anna Testi & Fabio Attorre

Article first published online: 24 September 2012

DOI: 10.7809/b-e.00196

*Corresponding author contact: michedes@gmail.com

Biodiversity & Ecology  (Biodivers. Ecol.)

Special Volume: Vegetation databases for the 21st century,
edited by Jürgen Dengler, Jens Oldeland, Florian Jansen, Milan Chytrý, Jörg Ewald, Manfred Finckh, Falko Glöckler, Gabriela Lopez-Gonzalez, Robert K. Peet & Joop H.J. Schaminée
Volume 4, pages 408–408, Sep 12
  PDF  (204 kB)

Keywords: Italian vegetation; phytosociology; TURBOVEG.

English

Abstract: The EVSItalia Database HABITAT OF ITALY (GIVD ID EU-DIT-018) contains 5,441 relevés (including 2,422 taxon names). 58% of the relevés come from the scientific literature; the remaining 42% have been collected by the authors during several field campaigns carried out between 2001 and 2011. Phytosociological investigation followed the methods described by Westhoff and van der Maarel and Braun-Blanquet. The location of the relevés was selected in relation to the homogeneity of the physical features, vegetation structure and species distribution. According to these criteria different kinds of habitats were sampled in the Italian territory: sand dunes, wetlands, woodlands, shrublands and grassland (from the coast to the Alpine belt) etc. The main focus of the database is to collect and store bibliographic relevés of Italian forest vegetation. The database was created using TURBOVEG.

Suggested citation:
De Sanctis, M., D'Angeli, D., Testi, A., Attorre, F. (2012): EVSItalia Database HABITAT OF ITALY. – In: Dengler, J., Oldeland, J., Jansen, F., Chytrý, M., Ewald, J., Finckh, M., Glöckler, F., Lopez-Gonzalez, G., Peet, R.K., Schaminée, J.H.J. [Eds.]: Vegetation databases for the 21st century. – Biodiversity & Ecology 4: 408–408. DOI: 10.7809/b-e.00196.